From the news

Kvitova in draw for French Open as recovery from knife attack continues

  • ontennis
  • 18 April 2017
  • 12:04

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova has entered the draw for next month’s French Open four months after suffering a serious hand injury, she said on Monday.

The 27-year-old was stabbed by a knife-wielding intruder in her home in the Czech Republic in December and had surgery following injuries on her left (playing) hand the same day. She was previously expected to be out for up to six months.

“My name will appear on the entry list for Roland Garros tomorrow because I had made good progress in my recovery process and I want to give myself every last opportunity to be able to compete at one of my favourite events,” Kvitova said on Instagram on Monday.

“This unfortunately does not mean necessarily that I will be ready to play in Paris but that I’m doing everything possible to give myself the chance and keep a positive mind-set. There remains a long road ahead.”

Kvitova needed surgery lasting nearly four hours after tendons in all four of her fingers and her thumb were damaged along with two nerves.

The intruder gained access to her apartment in Prostejov by posing as a utilities man before pulling out a knife and putting it to Kvitova’s throat. The injuries occurred as she pulled the knife away.

The hard-hitting left-hander rose to No2 in the world rankings in 2011 when she won the first of her two Wimbledon singles titles. She is now ranked 14th. The French Open starts on 22 May.

Add new comment

To prevent automated spam submissions leave this field empty.
Refresh Type the characters you see in this picture. Type the characters you see in the picture; if you can't read them, submit the form and a new image will be generated. Not case sensitive.